By Leonard Williams
To score well on the GED® certificate mathematical reasoning test, it's important to learn how to use the TI-30XS calculator, since it's the calculator used for the official GED test. For GED certificate math prep, it's a good idea to get hands-on practice with this calculator, and to understand which calculator functions the GED certificate mathematics test expects you to know. It's helpful to use the TI-30XS when you take a GED certificate practice math test, so that you get experience with the calculator you'll use on the actual GED test.
500,000 People Will Pass the GED This Year.
You’re here because you want to be one of them. The one-of-a-kind best-selling GED Academy learning program can get you there, fast and easy.
The TI-30XS is used for Part 2 of the two-part GED certificate mathematics test; about 45% of the test focuses on quantitative problem solving, and the remaining 55% focuses on algebra. You'll have 90 minutes total for the entire GED certificate mathematics test.
About the TI-30XS
This TI calculator is a scientific calculator. It's more advanced than the simpler or more basic calculator models most adults use to balance their checkbooks or to add a grocery bill while shopping. Many of today's high school students and even college graduates aren't familiar with advanced calculators and the higher-level functions of scientific calculators used in technology, science, and finance. Don't be put off by the most advanced features of a scientific calculator. When you take a GED certificate mathematics practice test, you'll see that the functions you need aren't too complex or too different from a basic calculator.
Here are some basics to understand about the TI-30XS for taking a math practice test and the GED certificate mathematical reasoning test:
- Learn the location of the keys.
- Learn the functions that the keys perform.
- How to use the "On" button to reset the calculator or to clear the memory.
- How to use the "Clear" and "All Clear" buttons or functions.
- Using number keys 0 to 9 and basic operation keys for addition, multiplication, subtraction and division.
- The location of the decimal point key, equals, and percent, and how and when each is used.
- The location and function of the "Shift" key, which changes other keys to alternate functions.
- How the "Change Sign" and "Fraction" keys work, and when to use them.
- How the "Square" and "Square Root" keys work, and when to use them.
- How the calculator determines the order of operations.
- Understanding the keys to raise numbers to another power, and for exponentials (the "EXP" key, which is used in scientific notation).
Does it look complicated? Maybe, but only if you haven't practiced with the TI-30XS calculator used for the for the GED certificate math test. Be sure to include the TI-30XS calculator when you take a GED certificate math practice test.
Don't worry. While it seems like a lot to learn and understand, the GED certificate mathematical reasoning test requires only basic knowledge and application of a few calculator functions. Understanding the functions you'll need on the calculator actually helps you understand the math you'll need to know better.
The TI-30XS is worth learning. Use TI-30XS for GED certificate practice math test problems so that you become familiar with the functions before you sit
for the exam. Understanding goes a long way toward reducing math anxiety, improving the final GED certificate mathematical reasoning test score, and
gaining skills needed for today's technological society.